Ginseng is a new ingredient added to skincare products nowadays. It is classified as an original superfood because it contains high levels of vitamins and minerals for the skin. Also, ginseng is a great source of antioxidants that help prevent and repair skin cellular damage.
In Korea, ginseng is popular in skincare since early the 1500s. Traditionally, ginseng has been consumed orally, but it has been found that it has anti-aging, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects on the skin when applied. Due to its powerful anti-aging benefits to the skin, many Asian skincare products use ginseng as an ingredient.
What is Panax Ginseng?
Ginseng is known as "man root" for its roots look like little people with arms and legs. Both the leaves and roots of this plant are beneficial to humans. Panax ginseng originally grows in Northeastern China, Korea, and far eastern Siberia and the root is commonly used for Asian traditional medicine for memory enhancement, physical stamina, endurance, treat infections, prevent signs of aging and more. The herb is also known to increase circulation and strengthen the immune system.
Importance of Ginseng in Skincare Products
- Ginseng is a "natural skin balancer"; it can help lighten and brighten your skin tone no matter what your skin type is.
- It can help prevent and reduce skin aging such as fine line s and wrinkles. Ginseng helps boost the circulation of the smallest blood vessels of the skin to help boost collagen to have firmer skin.
- Ginseng also contains antioxidants that help protect the skin from free radicals and environmental aggressors that could trigger skin aging and even skin cancer.
- For skin dullness, ginseng also helps brighten and revitalize skin complexion.
- Ginseng also helps treat hyperpigmentation; it helps prevent the production of melanin because of its antioxidant properties. It also acts as a shield against environmental pollutants and helps balance out oil production of the skin.
- For sensitive skin, ginseng helps treat puffiness and redness of the skin due to its natural inflammatory properties. It's also a good remedy for skin problems such as acne and psoriasis.
- Ginseng helps increase hyaluronic acid generation or helps keep the skin hydrated and plump.
Ginseng is considered a precious anti-aging ingredient because it contains several phytonutrients and it helps tone and brightens the skin. It helps rejuvenate the look of your skin. That’s the reason why you can find ginseng in most skincare products these days even in makeup too.